Old 22-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Tim Tyler

Default The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: Tim Tyler writes

:By contrast, the artificial toxins have been designed to be tasteless and
:invisible to consumers.

: One thing I am certain about, and that is that smell and taste features
: absolutely nowhere in anyone's selection procedure for pesticides. The
: infinitesimal residues (if any) left by the time you eat it are only
: detectable (if at all) by hugely sophisticated analytical equipment.

: Just to give you some idea I have visited a site where they could test
: at these levels. They had three areas, with separate doors to the
: outside and staff from each area were not allowed to touch each other
: until their shift had finished. This was because if one of the 'low
: level detection' area walked through the 'high level' area (where the
: test applications were made) then they would totally trash the analysis
: just from particles they picked up walking through.

: As any farmer would tell you, many sprays smell 'rather strongly'.

: So you are quite incorrect.

Reading comprehension problems? Or are you just a troll?

:Strawberries are one of the most pesticide-infected types of produce.
:They don't have natural toxins in.

: I very much doubt that. When I grew them nothing much but the odd slug
: ate them, which is always a giveaway.

I presume you were growing them on your own private planet - where
there are no birds.

:They are "designed" to be eaten by mammals like us.

: The fruits maybe. That doesn't mean they aren't toxic. I expect there is
: a fair bit of oxalic acid in them just the same.

The most toxic bit is probably the seeds - but very few of them are
digested.

:The fungicides sprayed on strawberries are toxic to
:animals like us.

: Fungicides are toxic to fungi.
: That's why they are called fungicides.

Because something is toxic to one kingdom that doesn't mean it
isn't toxic to other ones.
--