Old 22-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default damping off

On Wed, 21 May 2003 16:49:02 +0100, miklol wrote:

...my runner beans ...gave up the struggle after they had
got to about 6 to 8 inches high. When I checked them out the roots had a
white powder on them - any ideas? I have put in plants and they are doing
well so far. Also I would like to know what "damping off" is, as this is
apparently something I must prevent !

"Damping off" is a watermould that attacks seedlings at the point
where they emerge from the soil. IIRC, it's a species (perhaps
more than one) of Pythium. Damping off causes seedlings to fall
over -- this behavior is diagnostic.

Damping off can be due to any number of factors:

- use of unpasteurized soil
- excessive watering
- poor ventilation
- sowing too thickly
- sowing in too-cold conditions (I'm not sure about this one)

You didn't say if you sowed your beans in pots or in the open
ground, so none of this may be relevant.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada