Old 22-05-2003, 11:32 PM
dt

Default Prickly Pear Cactus

"Steve Coyle" wrote in message
om...
Howdy folks,
I did a search on this in the group and saw a lot of interesting
postings on Prickly Pear Cactus ( By the way for many new folks
checking in, you can find out a lot in a hurry just by doing a search
within this news group on your question )

A question I had was can you compost Prickly Pear Cactus. I assume
that anything that grows and rots will eventually rot down to a usable
form, but I was wondering if anyone had actually tried it.
I was thinking of building a wood and wiremesh bin off the ground,
with a tarp under it, to prevent any from falling through and just
filling the sucker and letting it rot down.
Seems strange,but I just have this affection for bio mass.
Steve Coyle

Googling got nothing on composting the suckers; just info on feeding compost
to them. (People *feed* prickly pears???)

Looks like a bumper crop this year. Has anybody made prickly pear jelly?
If so, is it worth the trouble?

Dale