Old 22-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Geoff Cashman

Default Neighbor's dog pees thru fence.

In article ,
Doug Kanter wrote:

1) You can *talk* to children and explain the problem to them. You cannot
talk to a dog, and you cannot talk to most dog owners who would let their
dog **** on your lawn. If they knew it was wrong, they'd put a stop to it
without being asked.

If they don't know their dog is doing it, then they have no reason
to stop them. You *can* talk to kids, but it doesn't mean they'll
stop either. If you have kids of your own, you should know this.

2) In some locales, including mine, it is legal to terminate a dog that's
damaging a food-producing garden. It's been the law since the 1940s, when
the "victory garden" idea was an important part of feeding families. My town
has chosen 3 times *not* to change this clause in their laws. Obviously,
terminating dogs is not such an alien concept. And yes, I realize the
original message was NOT related to a food-producing garden.

My viewpoint is based on having almost NO success in dealing with dogs
through legal channels, during 30 years of gardening. This is reality.

Killing a dog because he's ****ing on your grass is usually illegal.
Killing a dog because he's ****ing on your vegetable garden may not
be illegal, but certainly qualifies as stupid. How about taking some
of the burden of responsibility on your own shoulders? Maybe if you
didn't plant your tomatos right next to your fence you would have
less of a problem. Maybe if you told your neighbors that you have a
right to kill their dog if they pee on your garden you would get a
better response. Be glad you don't have me as a neighbor. I have
a dog, and I'm temporarily watching another dog. Both are males,
and both spend time in my (fenced in) backyard. If you killed one
of those dogs, I would do everything in my power to make certain
you paid for it. Your attitude is ridiculously arrogant and self-
centered.

Maybe after 30 years, you would have learned to place some form
of a barrier between yourself and your neighbor's dogs. I guess
not. But not to worry, the problem isn't yours. You can gleefully
kill the dogs. No problem.

Where do you live by the way? I bet your neighbors would like to
know of your intentions of killing their dogs if they pee on your
garden. But then again, I'm sure you've told them yourself. Or,
is it false bravado on your part?

-Geoff