Old 23-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Lee Hall

Default advice needed for a beginner gardener

(Frogleg) wrote in message ...
On Wed, 14 May 2003 18:28:11 GMT, "Dave Allyn"
(Dave Allyn) wrote:

beginning veg gardeners start out with a tomato plant or 2. Very
rewarding to taste the difference between home-grown and supermarket
fruit. I never brought a carrot to maturity. The little 'uns are *so*
tasty. I "thin" 'til they're all gone! Tomatoes, peppers, and beans
are easy with plenty of web info. Herbs are very rewarding,
particularly the perennials. Although fresh basil is a great treat.
You're in for a good time, f'r sure. :-)

I agree on the tomatos.. there is a huge differance... however.. a
word of advice:

plan your garden BEFORE getting the plants.... I didn't, and now I
have too much stuff... "hey, this looks good! so does this!! wow!
this would be fun to grow!!" didn't get some of the zuccini plants
in because of space constraints...

This is 2nd-year advice. :-) The first year is when you discover some
of the limits of space, labor, and appetite. I always wonder about
Q's asking "how much to plant for a family of 4?" Depends on how much
they like tomatoes or zucchini with every meal, if there's an on-site
person willing to can/preserve the overage, and whether the dog likes
lima beans.

So, you think my 22 tomato plants are a bit much for the wife and me?

Lee Hall
Zone 6B