Old 23-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Scopata Fuori

Default Question about pruning roses

Only guesses. During mild winters, Bonica, The Fairy and Carefree
Delight are the absolute latest roses to bloom. RR is a Bonica baby, so
maybe it follows the pattern of the parent.

Yet here in the eastern coastal 7b climate, my Bonicas (Bonica 82) are among
the first. They opened a half dozen or so, but are holding out the hundreds
of fattening buds they still have.

The Fairy has one bloom, and plenty of buds, but Jean LaJoie is covered.
I'll have to upload that picture to the picture website. It's next to a Red
Cascade which is covered with buds but no blooms yet, and a large Cl. White
Dawn with literally thousands of buds growing ever fatter. What a contrast!
The RC and the JL are right next to each other, and look very, very similar
other than the blooms, yet such a different idea of when and how to bloom.

The Iceberg tree rose is covered with perky buds, and am waiting for the New
Year tree rose to pop, as well. Angel Face and Chrysler Imperial (tree roses
also) cacked it during this last hard freeze after breaking dormancy. Out
they come. I'd like to replace them both with The Fairy as standards, this
time.

Scopata Fuori