Old 23-05-2003, 04:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default DIY Skimmers - Questions?

Paul in Redland mentioned:
and water changes are automatic.

So how are you removing water? If the water is leaving via evaporation
that's not a change, that is a topoff. Water should be removed and new
water added 10-20% at least twice a month, if not more often.

See water change-outs at:
http://www.koiclubsandiego.org/H2oQual.html ~ jan

On Thu, 22 May 2003 18:46:18 -0700, "Paul in Redland" wrote:

Solve that problem by having a valve on a timer to add water to the pond
daily and an overflow to carry away surplus water. The advantage is that the
water level in the pond never varies, ( hence the skimmer doesn't need the
door thingy ) and water changes are automatic. I have both of my ponds set
up this way and the third one that is in the planning stage will also have
this feature.
Paul

"Cleveland Ponder" wrote in message
. com...
I disagree. The reason for the door/flap is to maintain a constant
spillway height adjusting to changing water levels. It causes the
water to move faster at the opening causing it to pull floating debris
in. If the spillway gets to shallow, debris can catch at and block
the opening. If the spillway gets to deep, the flow gets to slow and
doesn't draw the surface water.

"Paul in Redland" wrote in message

Forget the door thing if your skimmer will run 27/7, it won't be needed.

Paul

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~