Old 23-05-2003, 08:20 AM
Carola / Les

Default Koi and Toxins

"Jim Key" wrote in message
om...
My contractor used Latipoxy 310 non-sag and quick set made by
Laticrete to install a waterfall in my fish pond. I moved the fish
to a holding tank for 24 hours while the epoxy cured. When I returned
the fish to the pond they all died within an hour. The plastic
holding tank where I moved the fish to revive them has become so
poisoned that I have not been able to keep any feeder goldfish in it.
They die in minutes. The one waterlilly that was in the pond is
showing distress on all it's leaves.

I have contacted the manufacturer by email to see what poisons I may
be dealing with but thought that the experience of this newsgroup
might be a better start.

My interim actions have been multiple drain and fills, each time
checking with feeder goldfish. I have also turned off the waterfall
and "painted" all the exposed epoxy with silicone caulk. I have had
no ill effects when using this caulk on other areas of the pond and
filter. I have still not turned the waterfall back on and won't until
I clear the toxins in the pond.

Help!

Jim Key

All epoxys contain styrene ,which is a poisonous gas. That is why it must
not be used in an enclosed space and extractor fans are used to remove it.
It will eventually dissipate over a week or two but aeration will help to
get rid of it quicker.
Epoxy should only be allowed to contact pond water when it is completely
cured.
There is a chemical method of measuring the level of styrene but you would
need to contact an industrial user or industrial chemist for assistance.
Good luck.
Les.