Old 23-05-2003, 10:57 AM
M C C

Default Actinidia Mystery Solved

On Fri, 23 May 2003 10:40:28 +0100, Adrian Jones wrote:

I've had an actinidia kolomitka for a couple of years. The plant has done
nothing much in the way of growth, and its few leaves have been chewed to
pieces. Every morning I go out, look at the eaten foliage and scratch my
head trying to figure out what's eating it. I've dug it up looking for vine
weevils, watered it, fed it, talked to it and finally sprayed it with every
chemical on earth, but still it gets eaten to bits.

Well, this morning the mystery is finally solved. The dreaded pest ---
cats! I knew cats were attracted to this plant but I didn't realise they
were eating it. A cat seemed to be intoxicated with it, so much so that I
had to whirl my arms and screech like a banshee to scare it off.

I think all I can do is dig up the plant, pot it, and grow it in a
greenhouse. Unless anyone has any other solution?

Thanks.

You'll need a big pot and a huge greenhouse if my book is correct! It says
that A. kolomikta grows to 6-12 feet and should be grown against a
sheltered wall or fence.
It goes on to say what you already know -
Pests - Cats are attracted to some species, particularly A. kolomikta, and
may damage the stems, occasionally killing the plants.
Maybe you need the electric fence mentioned in another thread!
Sorry, can't offer any constructive suggestion so I'll go back to lurking.
--
M C C