Old 23-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Pam

Default Gala Apple Tree in Northwest Yard (Wash state)

paul wrote:

I would like to plant an apple tree in my back yard. I like the taste
of the Gala apple. I was thinking about getting a standard (not
dwarf) sized tree. Do I need another tree to pollinate this tree?
Has anybody had any luck buying trees online?

Thanks,
Paul

Galas are not ideally suited to PNW growing conditions and are seldom
offered by local nurseries for this reason. And you are unlikely to find
too many suppliers of standard sized trees - even orchardists are growing
on semi- or dwarf root stocks. The trees are a much more manageable size,
require less heavy pruning and the fruit bears just as heavily but is
easier to harvest. And yes, you will need a second variety for cross
pollination.

You may want to contact the Western Cascade Fruit Society for sources or
recommendations - www.wcfs.org.

pam - gardengal