Old 23-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Beecrofter

Default Mulching Mower Conversion

(N_A_J) wrote in message om...
Hi,
I have an older Craftsman electric rear discharge rotary lawn mower.
It uses a hard plastic grass catcher. Is it possible to mulch with
this type of mower? Is it just a matter of changing to a mulching
blade and leaving off the grass catcher? I always thought that
mulching mowers were all side discharge models. Thanks.

What happens when you remove the grass catcher?
Is there a flap or door to cover the dioscharge hole so the mower can
be run without the catcher?
You don't need any special mulching blade or mulching mower they are a
gimmick for the people who don't keep a sharp blade or mow correctly.

Keep your blades sharp, every other mowing on a small plot is not too
often to resharpen them. Buy a spare blade.
Mow to remove no more than 1/3 of the grass height.
Any clippings that are not laying about in clumps can be left to
decay.
Returning the clippings to the soil will cut your nitrogen needs in
half.

I sharpen tools for a living, the condition of mulching blades brought
in for resharpening is generally dead blunt. Mushing mower would be
more apt.