Old 23-05-2003, 02:32 PM
B.Server

Default chelated iron - haven't got any

On 18 May 2003 11:41:24 -0700, (Ken
Saunders) wrote:

"Gyve Turquoise" wrote in message ...
I recently posted a query here about chelated iron for a lemon tree. Thanks
for the reply, but I can't find anything suitable to use here. I have asked
at several garden centres and looked through catalogues without joy. I
should mention that I live in Japan.

Is there any common product I can use as a substitute for chelated iron or
any easy way to cook the stuff up? What I want to do is solve my tree's
problem with the lack of iron, so any suggestions are welcome.

Gyve....Would the compound that turns Hydrangea's blue, be of any use.
A cheap substitute is iron nails underplanted

The OPs problem can either be a lack of iron in the soil or a soil pH
that renders the iron unavailable. (and they are not mutually
exclusive)

If you have the first instance, iron can be added in pretty much any
form. If the second, either the pH needs to be lowered to the point
that the existing iron becomes available or you can use chelated iron.

You have not said where in Japan you are. If you are in or around a
large city, you might try one of the outlets of Tokyu Hands. I have
found them to have a number of English or other European language
speaking staff and a fairly large number of products that are "dual"
packaged, for export so that there is at least some Romanji that would
help you find an iron-containing product, (iron sulfate, for example)