Old 23-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default Frustrating garden news ...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Karen" wrote in message

I see nothing wrong with wildflowers like fireweed, lupins and others. If
you control them in your garden they make lovely backdrops and are perfect
for the areas where nothing else will grow, or areas that are hard to get
at.

Not only that, but (get ready for some really dumb logic): If they're happy
there, it's because they're happy there. Too many gardeners (myself
included) struggle with plants which are wrong for the larger climate (your
entire zone), or wrong for the mini-climates around the house. If you have
plants which are thriving and spreading, why mess with it, as long it you're
not talking about bindweed or horseradish.

Last year I found wild grapes growing along a fence in the
back of my yard. My husband was ready to pull it out when I
said no leave it grow for the birds. He insisted wild grape
vines don't grow grapes - they just looked like grapevines.
Well, my wild grapevines are now loaded with beautiful
little grapes! I'm eager to see what birds they attract.

--
Bonnie
NJ