Old 23-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default Website with photos of trees. Is it a problem?

In article , Alex
writes
Hi!
I was searching the archive of this newsgroup trying to find some websites
with pictures of trees (as identification of trees seems to be a common
problem here). I found out that a lot of people ask for the same information
as well, but all their questions are not answered.

So, the question is still open:
Is there any website with database of trees or leaves with pictures?

I appologise if I didn't search hard enough and this subject was many times
discussed before, and if so, I would appreciate if anybody gave me a link.
Thank you in advance.

I doubt that there is a site covering the world-wide sylva. There are
some regional sites. For example (I don't guarantee that all of these
have pictures)

TreeGuide (US sylva)
http://www.treeguide.com/

Tree Genera of Borneo
http://django.harvard.edu/users/jjarvie/Index-Eng.htm

Tree Species of Panama Canal Watershed
http://ctfs.si.edu/webatlas/maintreeatlas.html

I'm fairly sure there's a site covering the British native sylva, but I
don't have the URL to hand.

The TROPICPOS (MOBOT) and NYBG sites have fair collections of images.

There's also quite a few floras on the web (mostly sans images). For a
listing of some floras see

http://www.meden.demon.co.uk/Malvace...ory.html#Flora
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley