Old 23-05-2003, 08:21 PM
Michael Saunby

Default The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
In uk.rec.gardening Michael Saunby wrote:

: So how many consumers are harmed by pesticides in the UK each year?

Probably all of them. Even organic produce contains pesticides.
Unless you stop eating and breathing you can't completely avoid them.

So you don't know. Have you any idea of roughly how many? How does it
compare with other dangerous things in our environment, e.g. other people's
cigarette smoke, mobile phone masts, diesel fumes... If I'm going to
devote any consideration to the matter at all I'd hate to think that in
doing so I'm actually going to miss the thing that is going to kill me
and/or other members of my family.

A recent study found fruit intake correlated with Parkinsons disease:

http://health.iwon.com/article/id/512534.html

The researcher's expected mechanism: pesticide exposure.

: You're stressing (which really does kill) over something that doesn't.

Uh - plenty of people have been killed by pesticides.

Stress probably kills more though.

My interest may be based on personal reasons - pesticides can
harm me - whereas I'm happy with the risks posed by my intelligence.

I suspect you're serriously underestimating the risk that your intelligence
presents.

: I'd like to care, but unfortunately it's just not in my nature, though

: think you really should try and lighten up - I'm sure you'll live a

longer
: and happier life if you do.

Pesticides are a serious issue. Attempting to gloss over the problem
is more likely to have a deleterious effect on your lifespan than
a positive one - IMO.

Roughly how many years longer do people live on average in countries with a
lower use of pesticides than our own?

Michael Saunby