Old 23-05-2003, 10:09 PM
Thomas Greeves

Default Automatic watering systems.

"Coffea ramosa" wrote in message
Anyone using automatic watering systems for their greenhouses? I only know
of a "hydromat" and Juliana has invented sort of a drip system, with long
tubes you put everywhere in your greenhouse.

But can't you just put a big barrel of water in your greenhouse, and rely

on
evaporation-humidity to do the job?

The problem with an automatic system from a water butt has an unreliable
source of water. Hozelock and Gardena do automatic watering systems from an
outside tap (a kit to inside £25 approx) The whole system will cost around
£100 There are starter packs are available to bring down the cost. The
system, once probably up and running can be used while you are away on
holiday. I would advise that you set it up well in advance of going away
though. The systems are much easier to install than you think. Full
instructions are given. Customers whom I have sold them to have told me
that they are simple to install and very good.

Personally I prefer the Gardena system. Its easier to install and change
around and its more versatile.
If you are interested I'm sure your local garden centre can advise.