Old 23-05-2003, 11:36 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Automatic watering systems.

"Thomas wrote in message
Anyone using automatic watering systems for their greenhouses? I only

know
of a "hydromat" and Juliana has invented sort of a drip system, with

long
tubes you put everywhere in your greenhouse.

But can't you just put a big barrel of water in your greenhouse, and

rely
on
evaporation-humidity to do the job?

The problem with an automatic system from a water butt has an unreliable
source of water. Hozelock and Gardena do automatic watering systems from

an
outside tap (a kit to inside £25 approx) The whole system will cost

around
£100 There are starter packs are available to bring down the cost. The
system, once probably up and running can be used while you are away on
holiday. I would advise that you set it up well in advance of going away
though. The systems are much easier to install than you think. Full
instructions are given. Customers whom I have sold them to have told me
that they are simple to install and very good.

Personally I prefer the Gardena system. Its easier to install and change
around and its more versatile.
If you are interested I'm sure your local garden centre can advise.

The tubes and connectors etc are a lot cheaper at N A Kays Horticulture
(Mail Order).
Recently helped a young lady install a system around her walled garden as
she was going away on contract for 3 months min. Kays was less than half the
price of the local GC.
You will need a water computer to run the system though.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.