Old 24-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Mike Humberston

Default The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

Tim Tyler wrote:

In uk.rec.gardening Mike Humberston wrote:
: Tim Tyler wrote:

re Fungicides on strawberries

:Fungicides are not effective indefinitely.

: Because they don't remain on the fruit?

Because naturally there are limits to the volume of fungus any
fungicide can prevent.

Either the fungicide will be present in sufficient quantities to prevent growth
of fungus or it won't, in which case the fungus will be able to grow.

:Eventually the forces of decay win out.

: Because the fungicides are no longer present in sufficient quantities
: for them to be effective?

Because chemical transformations change them from fungicides into
spent waste matter in the process of fungal attack.

You mean the fungus metabolises the fungicide? If it is converted into
metabolic products the it ceases to exist.

:Fungicides merely delay the process - but if the food is sold in
:the interim they have served their purpose.

: And the fruit is safe for the consumer to eat?

That will depent on the fruit in question

Why do you think that? Here we are talking about strawberries.

- and on your desired level
of safely.

I'm not sure what you mean by "desired level of safety". What you desire has
nothing to do with whether something is toxic or not.

--
Mike Humberston
Barnes, London

WARNING: Spam trap in operation. Send any e-mail reply to mike, not oblivion.