Old 24-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Susan Erickson

Default How much water when blooming?

On Sat, 24 May 2003 01:27:52 GMT, "sneff"
wrote:

I understand that there are a myriad of different cultural considerations
that leave a broad question like this pretty much redundant, but if you
please, let me posit it anyway.

Take a plant, in spike and laden with flower buds. Will such a plant want
more water than an equivalent plant not in spike (leaving seasonal and
weather conditions aside). Or perhaps put more simply, does the act of
throwing up a spike make a plant thirstier than it normally would be?

Thanks kindly for thoughts,

sneff

The act of opening the flowers takes a certain "hydrostatic
pressure" is how I have heard it described. So my answer would
be yes. But that is only because I have seen flowers fail to
fully open when "dry".

SuE