Old 24-05-2003, 08:44 AM
geoff

Default gravel

"Dee" wrote in message
I need to gravel over a lawn at the front of the house. Do I have to

remove
the turf or can I just cover with weed inhibitor material and then tip the
gravel on?
thanks for any advice

I dare say an inch of loam topsoil takes over a thousand years to form on
bare rock and you wish to cover it up and make it unuseable. What a waste!
Why not recycle it?

I suggest you remove the turf and build it into a compost heap (upside down
of course) then remove all the topsoil - one of your neighbours might take
it away and use it or you could make a raised bed in your back garden
perhaps. I have quite a bit of topsoil removed before laying 14mm gravel
chippings; I dare say I'll find a use for it one day.

I know that some say you should use some sort of barrier between the gravel
and subsoil but if it's one of the porous barriers you will find that weeds
will push their roots through it and be more difficult to remove. If, on
the other hand, the layer of gravel is three or four inches thick, the weeds
pull out easily but if that's too much of a bind, scuff them out! I assume
that when you say "gravel" you mean "rejects" (rejected by a 1 inch riddle
say) and not gravel "as dug". The latter will be messy to start with but
will end up like concrete!

Regards

Geoff