Old 24-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Brandon

Default Castor bean plants...danger?

"Charles" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 May 2003 16:41:58 -0700, "Brandon"
wrote:

Hello Experts !

I live in Gilbert AZ just east of Phoenix. In looking for some unusual
tropical looking plants, I remembered growing a Castor bean plant many

years
ago back in the Midwest. A friend here also has one in his backyard that

is
only about a year old from seed, it has a trunk diameter of about 5

inches
and is a good 12+in height. He gave me a handful of the seeds. I

planted 2
and within a week they sprouted and are growing vigorously. My question

is
this...how poisonous are these plants and in what manner? Do the seeds

have
to be consumed to be deadly or can simply getting sap from a pruning on

your
skin cause problems?
My other concern is to our two Pekinese dogs(9-14 lbs). Are these plants
dangerous to them( the plants are in the backyard where they go out
supervised).

Thanks
Brandon

Excerpted from the book "Poisonous Plants of California"

"Toxic part: Seeds, and to a lesser extent, the leaves.

The seed must be broken and chewed to release the ricin. As few as
two or three seeds have been fatal to children; two to four may cause
severe illness or death in an adult:..."

There are also allergic reactions to the plant. There are lots of
poisonous plants, this book is 432 pages long, a good book, I believe.

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others

Excellent information.