Old 24-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Ian

Default first time landscaper

When we first started to look at doing some landscaping in the backyard, I
ran out and purchased software (Sierra Garden) thinking it would allow me to
design the bedding, and then move the plants around until we got the right
fit.

I spent the better part of a week learning the software, dealing with the
bugs, and finding all the limitations the software had. Could never even get
our property lines properly inputted in the program as our lines are far
from rectangular or perfectly triangular, something the program couldn't
deal with.

In the end, I pulled out a sheet of 11x17 graph paper, and sketched our
design on paper, then photocopied many copies so that we could play with the
placement of the plants.

Then we had one of our good local nurseries send in a consultant to help us
understand what plants may be best suited for the type of soil and location
of the beds in our backyard, and to quote us for them to do all the work.
Cost us $75 for the rough draft of a plan, and we got that money back when
we purchased a whole whack of trees and shrubs from them.

We took the consultant's ideas, incorporated our own, and did the work
ourselves, saving $4,000 in labour, and providing hours and hours of fun
(and lot's of hard work!)

Wouldn't do it any other way now.

"Runyan" wrote in message
om...
I just bought my first home last November. It's old and needs lots of
work. I have just moved to the lawn and garden area of the home. I
have many questions regarding drainage, runoff, retaining walls, grass
type, shrubs, plants (basically everything). I am also a compulsive
do-it-yourselfer. I have been considering two options for a path
forward. 1) Landscape designer or 2) landscape software. I
definitely believe in proper planning before action. Has anyone had
greate success with either of the two above prior to taken action in
their own? If so, how did you select the designer, or the software?

Thanks,
Brian