Old 24-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Sue Alexandre

Default heat stroke and heat exhaustion

Well if that's true, then someone in my house better get EMS training real
quick, because there is no way I'm going to give up putzing by my pond every
possible minute I can! So I guess the question is, what is NOT allowable
out there? Is it the TIME you are exposed to the heat and sun, or the
amount of physical activity/cardio you are doing in the heat? And if I stop
every 30 minutes to sit in shade and drink, does that counter any ill
affects from the previous 30 minutes? I guess what I'm asking is, can I
stay out there all day as long as I bring the temp down when it starts to
rise? Problem with that is, I'm not sure I realize it until it's too late.
Oh heck, I shouldn't worry - it's not often that I have an entire day to do
nothing but work by my pond, and even MORE rare that we have a full day of
sun here anymore!
Sue

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
I have heard that people who have suffer HS once, seem to be more

sensitive
to the heat after that. Kind of like over working a thermostat, it becomes
faulty afterwards. ~ jan

On Fri, 23 May 2003 14:27:18 GMT, wrote:

in a child or elderly, those with chronic illnesses (or somebody taking

anti
psychotic meds) or mental confusion, heat stroke can be life threatening

and calls
for a visit to an emergency room.
The problem is the mental confusion. My friend Jo Ann was rather

incoherent and when
I asked her what her temp was and had she been drinking gatorade... she

wasnt
responding and told me she was going to bed. With heat stroke you go to

bed and the
temp keeps rising and then you slip into a coma. Her husband was already

asleep and
(sorry men) not terribly "responsive" in general. I called her daughter

who was
there in 10 minutes, got her mom up and into the shower and started

taking her
temperature every 15 minutes or so, kept her drinking the gatorade and

kept her awake
until her temp came back down. Then stayed overnight checking her

mothers temp every
hour to make sure she was fine. Unless there is a responsible other

person who will
monitor the situation, it really is better to go to an emergency room.
A warning. having had heat stroke seems to either cause or predict a
predisposition. Jo Ann now takes her temp when she is feeling a little

weak after
being out in the heat and she drinks electrolytes. She now uses Propel

cause there
isnt the sugar like in Gatorade. She basically tries to stay out of the

heat as much
as possible, or limits her time outdoors when heat is intense. Ingrid

"Sue Alexandre" wrote:
Even heat exhaustion is considered an emergency? I thought, from

reading
some websites, that heat cramps and heat exhaustion were manageable, but
that the heat stroke should be tended to by medical professionals.
Luckily I think I'm OK..... still a little more tired than usual today,

but
took a nap after work and I seem to be fine. I'm continuing to hydrate

with
lots of water though, at least for another day or two. Heck, with this
non-stop rain, that shouldn't be hard to do!
Thanks.
Sue

"FIRE224U" wrote in message
Both are true emergencies and EMS should be called.

Scott in Louisiana
Firefighter/EMT

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/