Old 24-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Frogleg

Default Day Lilies Lethal to Cats???

On 23 May 2003 11:37:45 -0700, (Fleemo) wrote:

I just read this brief article (shown below) that states that most
forms of lilies are fatal to pets. I happen to be a cat owner as well
as a day lily fanatic. I'm sure it's not an unusual circumstance to
have cats and day lilies on your property. Anyone here ever have a
problem? Should I be consdering yanking out my precious day lilies?

snip
As others have pointed out, daylilies aren't 'true' lilies. In fact,
they are famous for being an edible flower. The buds may be prepared
like green beans, and the flower petals added to a salad. Even the
tubers/rhizomes are edible, 'though I wouldn't want to waste their
plant potential.

One sort of dried lily bud, I haven't done enough research to be
absolutely sure, is the "golden needle" used in Chinese cooking.

Remember, don't believe everything you read on the web. Inclusion of
daylilies in a list of similar-looking, but botanically different
plants may be an error on the part of the author.