Old 24-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Carla

Default Ants, I hate them.

Problem I have with this is that you can put out all that granule
stuff on every single ant hill and there are 5 others that show up a
few days later to take over the area. This happens alot in the south.
I made some ant hills move out of my Alabama yard by sticking a water
hose down into the middle of the hill. Needless to say, you cackle
with glee to see all those eggs and larva laying on top of the ground
dying from the hot sunlight. Did I mention to do this at noon? The
remaining ants move to a newer spot usually away from the house.

I had one hill where I was watching out the window and the grass
seemed to be walking. Well turns out the ants were climbing up the
grass and jumping into the wind to get a good flight pattern going.
They were doing some type of mating thing. Then they'd go off and
become queens in another hills. If you catch ants doing this, spray
the area with hot soapy water before they can send too many off into
the air. They weren't fire ants though so that's a good thing but
highly annoying to watch.

Carla

(Anonymo421) wrote in message ...
I read an article that said to put down or sprinkle uncooked grits on the
soil where they were crossing. They take the food back to their homes and
eat it. Once ingested, it puffs up and makes the ants explode.

Actually there are commercial ant poisons that are granulated and meant to be
taken down below by the ants as "food"; the queen takes a bite or two, and
bingo...no more colony. Usually takes a day or two to work in my experience.