Old 24-05-2003, 06:09 PM

Default heat stroke and heat exhaustion

work early in AM and later in the day when it is cooler.
dont work in bright sunlight when temp is over 80.
work in the shade.
wear a hat. put a wet washcloth on your head under the hat or, wet your hair.
put a wet washcloth around your neck to cool the blood going to the brain.
yes, drink gatorade or propel while working.
have somebody responsible at home who will call you in and take your temp every hour
or so. if your temp rises, into the shower immediately (not cold water, cool water).
and then they need to make sure your temp is back down and you have sucked down
enough gatorade. what you want them to understand is not let you fall asleep if your
temp is up, and if it stays up after shower and drink, then off to the emergency
ward. Ingrid

"Sue Alexandre" wrote:
Well if that's true, then someone in my house better get EMS training real
quick, because there is no way I'm going to give up putzing by my pond every
possible minute I can! So I guess the question is, what is NOT allowable
out there? Is it the TIME you are exposed to the heat and sun, or the
amount of physical activity/cardio you are doing in the heat? And if I stop
every 30 minutes to sit in shade and drink, does that counter any ill
affects from the previous 30 minutes? I guess what I'm asking is, can I
stay out there all day as long as I bring the temp down when it starts to
rise? Problem with that is, I'm not sure I realize it until it's too late.
Oh heck, I shouldn't worry - it's not often that I have an entire day to do
nothing but work by my pond, and even MORE rare that we have a full day of
sun here anymore!
Sue