Old 24-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Jim Webster

Default The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
In uk.rec.gardening Jim Webster wrote:
: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
: In uk.rec.gardening Jim Webster

wrote/quoted:

: :

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/committ...sumtabsrev1.pd
: : is the actual data in the report
:
: : Some of the key findings of the report a
: :
: : * UK grown non-organic strawberries contained dicofol at
: : illegal levels. Dicofol is not approved for use on
: : strawberries in the UK. Dicofol is similar to DDT and is a
: : suspected hormone disrupter. The 3 organic strawberry
: : samples were free of residues.

[...]

: : as for the three organic strawberry samples being free of residues, I
: : would love to discover how they found this out because no where in
: : the data summary is the term organic used other than as in 'organic
: : bromide' or 'inorganic bromide'
:
: "Three of the samples tested were labelled as organic and did not

contain
: any residues."
:
: -

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/committ...rep-01rev1.pdf
:
: [on page 22]
:
: : indeed doing a search through the entire document similar claims seem

: : have been made with no actual reference to the data provided in the
: : report
:
: You've just demonstrated that your searching skills are not very good.
:
: no, it was a different document.

Exactly - rather than look in the report cited you chose to only examine
some tables from it.

Lucky you pointed the other one out to me, after all I would have missed the
phrase

.. However, none of the residues found were of concern for
consumer health

The full report contained the information you claimed was missing.

you seem to have overlooked something

would you care to comment in detail on the report, I reproduce a section for
you

Results 1999
In the survey of strawberries carried out in 1999, residues were detected in
36 (80%) of the 45 samples tested. Nineteen (42%) had multiple residues;
one UK sample contained 5 individual pesticide residues. There were no
MRL exceedances. The residues found most frequently were bupirimate,
iprodione and pyrimethanil. This survey was the first time pyrimethanil was
sought in strawberries. In addition residues of vinclozolin (indicating
mis-use)
were found in 1 sample of UK origin below the EU MRL of 5 mg/kg.
Conclusion
The latest survey shows that residues were found in 64% of samples tested.
There were 4 MRL exceedances and 2 technical non-approved uses. These
results suggest a slight improvement on the occurrence of residues in the
samples tested, however, there appears to have been an increase in MRL
exceedances. However, none of the residues found were of concern for
consumer health.

Please Note, In the document you quoted it specifically says NONE OF THE