Old 24-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] juniper advice needed

I think I wrote several months ago about the juniper "bonsai"
that were donated to our Taoist Tai Chi Center. Both were very
sad specimens (though they were nursery plants and not Mallsai).

Anyway, I took on the job of rejuvenating these plants -- even
though I'm not the best grower of juniper bonsai. ----
understatement.

I put them both in the ground for a season. I potted up the J.
prostrata (or procumbens) this spring and it immediately went
into a funk. I thought I'd lost it -- it turned a sickly olive,
mixed with brown and felt limp. I seem to have nursed it back to
health, however, there's quite a bit of new growth popping up
everywhere and it generally looks and feels healthier.

My problem: Much of the new growth is at the end of long
spindly, brown twigs, as:

where is the old brown needle stubs that dried and blew
away as it was recovering and #### is the bright new growth way
out at the end of that long, skinny twig.

My question. If I snip that "branch" half way (or less), can I
expect to see more #### show up at the end of the shortened
branch? If not, what's the solution to this dilemma?

The other juniper is still growing in the ground, but it is one
of those horribly ugly bi-color (yellow and green) J. chinensis
cultivars and I'm having a very hard time imagining it as a
bonsai.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --