Old 24-05-2003, 09:56 PM
RamblinOn

Default first time landscaper

Runyan wrote:

I just bought my first home last November. It's old and needs lots of
work. I have just moved to the lawn and garden area of the home. I
have many questions regarding drainage, runoff, retaining walls, grass
type, shrubs, plants (basically everything). I am also a compulsive
do-it-yourselfer. I have been considering two options for a path
forward. 1) Landscape designer or 2) landscape software. I
definitely believe in proper planning before action. Has anyone had
greate success with either of the two above prior to taken action in
their own? If so, how did you select the designer, or the software?

Thanks,
Brian

I've plunked around with software freebies, with no satisfaction at all.
A flat plant on a computer screen tells me nothing about how the plant
will grow or look in my yard. A landscape designer? High end,
satisfaction for him/her but not for me ) A dedicated DIYer? Implies
you have the time, and are willing to put effort into your yard. For
me, there is great satisfaction and enjoyment in doing my own gardening
- when I don't like a plant in one spot, I yank it out and put it
somewhere else. I'd start with a walk around the neighborhood, chat it
up with folks whose yards you like. Dedicated gardeners will often give
or trade plants, give tips, etc. A garden club would be another place
to get ideas, advice and more plants, in addition to some practice in
gardening.

I would begin by considering what you want to keep, what you want to
remove, building healthy soil, removing overgrown or unwanted
plants/trees. If you have mature trees, get them pruned and opened up
so they remain healthy and allow growth beneath. Have soil tested,
amend if it is seriously deficient and treat any bad pests. This is the
foundation needed to grow anything decently, and it isn't work you want
to do AFTER you have planted a garden. If you have large areas of
shade, plan to have an irrigation system, difficult soil, local pests or
disease problems, they need to be part of your overall plan. Get
familiar with what works and what is needed before you sink any money
into the yard. There are lots of plants that make attractive ground
covers and reduce the maintenance that grass requires. If you have some
beds ready to plant, get a load of horse manure delivered in the fall
so's it is ready to plant in the spring.

I've read loads of gardening magazines and books, but there is nothing
like growing stuff and getting my hands dirty. Your lifestyle has a lot
to do with how you develop your property - need room for a softball game
or for intimate outdoor entertaining? Three big dogs fenced in the yard
or a perfectionist with no tolerance for weeds in the grass?