Old 24-05-2003, 10:09 PM
WNeptune

Default Repoting

Subject: Repoting
From: "Paulo"
Date: Sat, May 24, 2003 12:10 PM
Hi everyone!

I have some kind of concern.....I have two oncidiums, growing a new
pseudobulb, I have decide that was a good opportunity to repot them.

For both of them i used a mix of bark, perlite and spanhum moss......I am
not so sure if this mix is ok, because when i took one of them form the
original pot (this one is the Onc.colmenara wildcat lorene) the potting
material was 100% spanghum moss, very healthy roots, white and plump. The
other oncidium (flexousum) was in a kinf of fine mix of bark and perlite,
very fine roots, comparing with the other one not so healthy (?)....

I know everybody has different opinions, or favorites, but what shlud be the
best? Another point, both of them were in plastic pots, and i have changed
in clay pots....

Any idea, advice, considereation, observation...etc. it is going to be very
appreciated!

Paulo
(trying)

You really can not compare these two plants-one, Onc flexuosum, is a species
oncidium, which, by the way, would do much better mounted, as it rises with
growth and is difficult to keep in a pot, while the other one is a complex
hybrid in the Oncidium alliance, Colmanara Wildcat.
Either one will do well in either of the two mixes (assuming you still wish to
grow flexuosum in a pot); and either pot will be fine. Plastic pots are
cheaper, lighter, and easier to clean for reuse; clay is heavier, and more
stable, looks better, but is easier to break, and more expensive-whichever
suits your fancy.