Old 24-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] juniper advice needed

Jim,

I would not cut back beyond the green for now since the tree is

weak. I
have found that if I keep the foliage at the ends pinched back

fairly well
that buds will pop along the branch - often on rather old wood.

Removing
the green is apt to cut off the supply water and nutrients from

the roots
and result in death of the branch. My method is a little

slower perhaps,
but far safer.

Good. I suspected that, and I'll follow your advice.

Of course getting them into a proper winter might also help -

heck,
Tallahassee is not that much different from inside the house as

far as a
juniper is concerned big grin.

Now, now . . . it gets chilly enough to freeze pots here. ;-)

In addition, junipers like to be a little on the alkaline

side - some
dolomitic lime worked into the soil and avoid the acid

fertilizers seems to
help. Dolomitic lime is a mixture of both magnesium and

calcium carbonate
rather than straight lime which is mostly calcium carbonate.

Most plants
seem to like some additional magnesium - Epsom salts (magnesium

sulfate) is
also used for this purpose, particularly for those that like

acidic soil.

The tree is planted in almost 100% Turface, which I suspect is
slightly alkaline. I'll test pH.

Thanks for the info.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: