Old 24-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Anne Lurie

Default lone start tick sighting

There's a good picture of a Lone Star Tick at
http://www.troyb.com/photo/gallery/new_00011143.htm

(I don't recall how I came to subscribe to the update list for "Troy's
Gallery" but he does have some nifty nature pictures on it.)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Joy in Durham" wrote in message
om...
Now for a scary sighting...

I thought I was seeing things this morning, but no, there it was, a
lone star tick crawling up a pants leg. I wasn't wearing it at the
time as the pants were thrown over a rack in my room. It must have
latched on somewhere from a recent hike on the Eno River, or out in
the garden? Has anyone else seen these recently?

I had never seen this type of tick before. Very distinctive. The long
probiscious (sp?) sticks out from the body and it has that dot of
silver on the back. I found a link that shows the difference between
the lone star and more common dog tick. A good photograph for anyone
interested.

http://www.ent.iastate.edu/imagegal/...fanddvarf.html

Sorry, I did NOT save the tick.

Joy in Durham