Old 25-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Vanis

Default Help id an insect

Hi,

I caught a small insect that was living on my banana pepper plant. It's
behavior most resembled that of a sharpshooter, but the coloring seems
different.

It's about 1cm long, lots of red on the wings, with black spots. The entire
head is black, with a set of honey colored eyes. Most of the underside is
the same color of its eyes. Except the butt end, which is black & white
stripes. It always seemed to hop when challenged, rather than actually fly.
Played the hide and seek similar to what's described as sharpshooter
behavior.

I just hope it wasn't a beneficial insect. I was curious because I chased it
away from my banana pepper plant, and found it had returned 20 mins later.
My banana pepper plant has been chewed on the most. Note: I believe I saw
the same insect on the plant a few days ago, but it was almost entirely
white.

Thanks,