Old 25-05-2003, 02:56 AM
B.Server

Default chelated iron - haven't got any

On Sat, 24 May 2003 09:19:34 +0900, "Gyve Turquoise"
wrote:

B.Server wrote in message
.. .
On 18 May 2003 11:41:24 -0700, (Ken
Saunders) wrote:

"Gyve Turquoise" wrote in message

The OPs problem can either be a lack of iron in the soil or a soil pH
that renders the iron unavailable. (and they are not mutually
exclusive)

I've heard that too. I'll test my pH!

If you have the first instance, iron can be added in pretty much any
form.

So I can just bury some rusty nails in the soil? A web search I did
suggested that the iron needs to be in a form which is digestible by the
plant.

I would use a sulfate, particularly if the soil tends toward the high
end of the pH scale. Nails would only provide a biologically
available form if the pH is neutral to acid.

If you are going organic, manures, rice hulls, and most compost tend
to be acidic. Blood meal would then provide a useful souce of iron.

[...]
Thanks for your ideas. To be honest with you I can probably manage without
"romanji" or English speaking assistants. I've been searching high and low
for any kind of garden product with any form of iron in it in places
including "Joyful Honda", D2 and Homac, but not in Tokyu Hands.

I was not intending to impune your Japanese fluency. A lot of
relatively compentent non-native speakers have little or no reading
skills in my experience. I have not looked at Japanese packaging for
gardening supplies, so I have no idea whether there are adopted kanji
for specific chemicals and compounds or whether they are rendered in
kana. My guess would be that "organic gardening" products, being
native materials, would have kanji names, but chemical compounds would
be rendered in a combination of kana and IEC symbols.