Old 25-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Iris Cohen

Default [IBC] juniper advice needed

I potted up the J. prostrata (or procumbens) this spring and it immediately
went into a funk. I thought I'd lost it -- it turned a sickly olive, mixed
with brown and felt limp. I seem to have nursed it back to health, however,
there's quite a bit of new growth popping up everywhere and it generally looks
and feels healthier.
My problem: Much of the new growth is at the end of long spindly, brown twigs,

The way to tell J. procumbens 'Nana' from J. squamata 'Prostrata' is not that
difficult. If it absolutely always produces nothing but juvenile foliage
(needles), it is probably J. procumbens. If it is J. squamata, it will
sometimes produce shoots of scale foliage, especially in the summer & fall.
I am not familiar with procumbens, but I have a squamata. It is reluctant to
bud back, but it will to some extent if you are persistent. Keep pinching the
tips of the long shoots & they should branch eventually.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)