Old 25-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Hussein M.

Default Sweet Woodruff

On Tue, 20 May 2003 22:26:15 +0100, "Sarah Dale" wrote:

On Fri, 16 May 2003 05:22:59 +0100, Hussein M. wrote:

I put in a plant of Galium odoratum this year hoping to start a colony of it in the
"woodland" area. It's doing really well at the moment so I had better find out the best
way to spread it about a bit. Do you find yours self seeds easily? Pollinators Flies,

Hi Huss,

My sweet woodruff is taking over the garden by spreading - be warned - it
has even got into my lawn!!! I've found that if it likes the conditions it
just spreads quietly, until one day you turn round and think "Where the
*hell* did that lot come from!" (just as well it only grows to about 6"
otherwise you'd need a machete!).

However, its a quiet pleasent plant that is reasonably easy to weed out -
on a par with vinca in my book. It is an excellent ground cover, pretty in
flower, and pleasent when not. Would you like some to expand your
collection? It's probably time I cleared it out of the lawn!

Thanks for the tips Sarah. Neighbouring plants have sufficient stature not to get over
run and I shall keep a watch on it.

I love it because it looks so English countryside. I tried crushing some leaves and
flowers between my fingers to get a sweet hay smell but didn't notice anything to
spectacular. Maybe the strength of the scent comes on drying. Mine is the "odorata" too.

I see it has another Common Name - "Bedstraw".

Do you know if it "comes back" vigourously after a medium haircut?

Thanks for the offer by the way. But I don't think we need the Woodruff stage coach just
yet.

Huss
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.