Old 25-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Martin Rand

Default The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

it is an interesting point. I think that anyone with hands on food
experience knows that organic can taste better than some conventional.

When
our house cow is dry we end up buying organic milk. This was because it

was
the only milk we could buy that was not pasteurised, homogenised and
standardised. I came to the conclusion that these three processes render
milk virtually undrinkable. The organic we found was at least only
pasteurised so was merely disappointing as opposed to actively unpleasant.
The same could be said for meat. Because of the cost of organic grain,

most
organic beef will be grass finished. Personally I am a great believer in
grass-finished beef because the flavour is so much stronger and superior

grain finished (although the latter may well be more succulent.).
Our own milk which is not pasteurised, homogenised or standardised is

better
than organic, our own beef, grass finished, is on a par with organic. In
these cases it is not that organic has any intrinsic advantages, it just
uses certain procedures that are known to give better flavour (or in the
case of milk, doesn't use certain procedures beloved of the supermarkets
that extend shelf life but ruin the flavour.)
As for any health benefit, it has been known for a long time that if you

cut
stress you tend to feel better and your health will probably pick up. If

you
are worried about various residues, then eating organic, even if
contaminated with the same residues, will probably reduce your stress

level
and you will probably be healthier.
Because the levels that come through on conventional products are so low,

it
almost certainly doesn't matter, from a health point of view, whether it

is
being switched for organic or not. It is more a trading standards issue
rather than a public health issue. Something along the lines of buying

knock
off designer label stuff in a street market.
Organic, if left to the producers, as opposed to the cliques who seem to
rise to the top of the certifying bodies, will almost certainly be

produced
with rather more thought to flavour than to supermarket specifications

which
are more about visual appeal. Indeed it will be interesting to see if the
flavour of organic produce degrades as the supermarkets start stocking

more
of it, and start insisting on long shelf lives and visual appeal.

Hear, hear to all of this. But what's this about "_if_ the flavour of
organic produce degrades"? I can't detect any flavour difference in
supermarket organic produce now! I go to farm outlets or local markets if I
want decent veg - and it then doesn't make a lot of difference whether I buy
organic or not. It's down to the varieties grown, the freshness, the
practices of the growers and their competence.