Old 25-05-2003, 06:44 AM
Gyve Turquoise

Default chelated iron - haven't got any

B.Server wrote in message
On Sat, 24 May 2003 09:19:34 +0900, "Gyve Turquoise"
wrote:
I would use a sulfate, particularly if the soil tends toward the high
end of the pH scale. Nails would only provide a biologically
available form if the pH is neutral to acid.

The pH of the soil I scraped from the top of the pot is 5.5 according to my
testing kit. It should be about the same lower down I suppose. The potting
mixture I used was one part of sand to three parts of leaf mould to six
parts of something called "aka dama" earth ("aka dama" means "red ball" in
English, and it is literally little red clay balls, but I don't know what it
should be called correctly in English). This year I've been feeding the tree
with something called "Hyponex".

If you are going organic, manures, rice hulls, and most compost tend
to be acidic. Blood meal would then provide a useful souce of iron.

Blood meal is another thing I've never seen on sale here. I'm going to try
to find the tablet iron for humans mentioned by another poster first, and
failing that I'll stick some rusty nails in the soil.