Old 25-05-2003, 06:44 AM
Les Dowdell

Default [IBC] Tree Identification

On Sat, 24 May 2003 23:00:07 -0400, Sean Nemecek wrote:

Can anyone identify this tree/shrub? I have been through Dirr twice and I can't find anything like it. In the fall it

has green-gray berries. Check out the images at:

http://www.sendpix.com/albums/030524...315f76c1e9ab2/

Thanks for the help,
Sean Nemecek - Cadillac, MI - Zone 4b or 5a

Sean,

The pictures and the mention of green-gray berries reminds me of the Silverberry or wolfwillow, Elaeagnus
commutata. With a range described as: "Well-drained, open sites; plains to montane; Alaska to Idaho and Montana.
" in a guide to Plants of the Rocky Mountains. There are other Elaeagnus species that may be present in your part
of the continent. In Japan there is an Elaeagnus that is called gumi but it has red berries. See if Dirr has anything
on the silverberry.

Best wishes in bonsai,
Les Dowdell
In Alberta where silverberry abound.