Old 25-05-2003, 07:20 AM
Oz

Default The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

Martin Rand writes

Hear, hear to all of this. But what's this about "_if_ the flavour of
organic produce degrades"? I can't detect any flavour difference in
supermarket organic produce now! I go to farm outlets or local markets if I
want decent veg - and it then doesn't make a lot of difference whether I buy
organic or not. It's down to the varieties grown, the freshness, the
practices of the growers and their competence.

I would agree.

Once, many decades ago, I worked on a large vegetable farm.

On my way home I took veg fresh from the field (cabbage, caulifower,
spring cabbage, sprouts, spuds etc). Cut to cook time was often under
one hour.

The produce was splendid. Exceptional flavour.

Buy the same stuff, from the same field, and you are talking circa 24
hours after cutting. The effect on flavour is highly marked. In fact I
wouldn't have believed it was the same produce if I hadn't seen it come
out of our own sacks.

I have seen several double blind trials comparing organic and
conventional produce and they can never tell the difference except for
(real) organic bread (which tasted 'musty'). With all due respect to our
organic egg producers I couldn't tell the difference from genuine free
range (produced on this farm) and battery eggs. I am pretty good at
identifying things (and their absence) by taste, to the irritation of my
wife when she cooks.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.