Old 25-05-2003, 08:08 AM
Klaurens

Default Help Please!

I've never gardened before in my life, but about three weeks ago my husband
and I planted 3 rose bushes (Arizona, Rio Samba and Oklahoma) along with a
Black Jack Fig tree, a Belle of Georgia Peach tree, and a Barlett Pear tree.
We also installed some planters containing various herbs and such. The
herbs seem to be doing well, but everything else seems to be struggling for
life. Our soil tested high in Potash and Phosphorus, but there was no
detectable Nitrogen. We put down some "blood" fertilizer to boost the
nitrogen, but it's only been a few days since we did that. The leaves on
the rose bushes are most worrisome. They've got brown, black, white, and
orange splotches on them, and some of the leaves are just yellow. But the
coloring seems to only affect the tops of the leaves, except the yellow. I
don't see it on the under sides of the leaves. We cut off the few buds they
had right after we planted them, hoping the energy would go to building the
roots, rather than the buds. Those flowers opened beautifully in a vase on
our counter. There are no signs of buds on 2 of the plants. The Oklahoma
has a bud, but it's turned black, except where it's connected to the cane.
That part is quite green and healthy looking. Also I noticed today on that
rose bush, what looks like crumbled white concrete particles. They're stuck
between the cane and where the leaf attaches, as well as along the stem of
the "dead" bud. Any ideas on what might be wrong? Also, all the leaves of
the peach tree have fallen off. The new shoots are trying to get growing,
but I don't know what to do to help this poor guy out! I'd really
appreciate any and all help and advice. Like I said, I've never grown
anything in my life. Maybe I just have a "black" thumb!
Oh yeah, we live in southwest Albuquerque, if that helps at all.
Carrie

--
http://www.themomteam.com/cgi-bin/mo...75&action=show