Old 25-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Glenna Rose

Default grass clipping mulch

writes:
I waited way too long to mow my backyard, and as a result, I have alot
of clippings... can these be used to mulch around my tomatos and
peppers, cuces, etc?? or am I asking for disaster? I guess the
clippings would provide good organic matter when they get tilled
under, but will they let enough water past into the soil?? will there
be any other problems I need to look out for??

thanks for the input!!

My tomatoes, etc., have been fantastic, and I attribute it partially to
the grass clipping mulch placed at planting and for a while after. The
grass clippings keep the soil warm while decomposing so you have the
advantage of warm soil as well as moisture retention. The added bonus is
weed control; by the time the surround soil warms enough for the weed
seeds to grow, the tomato plant has reached a height that it shades the
area which discourages weed growth. With a good supply of grass clippings
around the veggie plants, the plants grow better and weed growth is at a
minimum . . . works for me, your mileage may vary.

Never use any clippings from treated areas. Do keep an inch or two around
the stem free of mulch as a precaution against mold or other nasty things;
I've not had a problem with it, but some climates might have.

In addition to the grass clipping mulch, all of my watering (sans rain) is
done as surface watering (soaker system or drip lines) . . . and an ample
supply of water, always a good soaking never light watering. Since none
of my garden receives more than 50 percent sun (surrounding trees), my
conclusion for my own garden has been the water is more important than the
sun, not something someone growing up in eastern Washington on a farm
would have thought.

Last year's web page is still on line but not updated after July;
www.pacifier.com/~glenna (the tomato plants speak for themselves).

Enjoy your garden and do what "feels right" to you. I don't follow any
"rules" or I might have a real garden g. So far, I've not had any
problems with insects or birds . . . I feed the birds and so do the
insects. :-) Also important, an always full bird bath is beside the
garden so the birds never go to the tomatoes, etc., as they have plenty of
water available. Of course, all is subject to change during any year, but
so far my ignorance has served my garden well.

Glenna
who mows for mulch (in shorter supply each year as the garden expands)