Old 25-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Cover for a bank - advice please

In article ,
Pickle wrote:

as the nme implies, minor is smaller! minor has a smaller more

compact
ground-hugging habit than major (which, IMHO can look a bit

straggly)
ISTR than minor has a lot more varieties available too.

There is also a really nice varigated variety...........
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/floricultur.../Vinca/a20.htm

And pink, and white, and...........
http://www.galyeannursery.com/varieties.html

Thank you, the pics in my book both looked the same!

V. minor grows to about 6" high, and V. major to about 1'; the latter
is more drought resistant, and can be a real thug. I have just shorn
mine down to ground level to get it back under control - yes, that is
one way to prune it :-)

If you are in this area, and want some V. major "oxyloba" (a very
different strain, with lighter leaves but much darker and more spiky
flowers), please ask. For reasons I cannot understand, it is rarely
stocked. It is a much better than the common one in several respects.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.