Old 25-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Tim Tyler

Default The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote or quoted:

:If you want to pick representative contaminated produce for me,
:then spinach might be your best bet. I eat a lot more green leafy
:vegetables than strawberries.

: Unfortunately no spinach, or cabbage. I can't believe they haven't
: tested these but I note they are only quoting stuff found over the
: reporting level. It seems likely, then, that this sort of product has
: none so isn't in the tables. [...]

Spinach comes out as the most pesticide-contaminated vegetable in:
http://www.consumerreports.org/main/...=1052595508632
and in:
http://www.ewg.org/pub/home/Reports/.../Chapter2.html

I would find it hard te believe that they didn't include it because
it showed little contamination.

Spinach consistently features in the Safety Directorate's produce
safety warnings - the last three warnings all concern spinach:

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/citizen...r_residues.htm

``A PSD risk assessment suggests that consuming spinach containing
methomyl at concentrations of 6.1 mg/kg would erode safety margins built
into the acute reference dose. Any effects on consumers would be minor
(e.g. increased salivation, mild upset stomach, headache) and unlikely
to last for more than a few hours. Suppliers are reminded that produce
containing residues in excess of the MRL should not be put into
circulation.''

- http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/citizen..._Spain_AMH.htm

: I advise you stick to cabbage and sprouts wherever possible.

I'm keen on diversity, though. Consuming lots of any one thing can
potentially cause problems if the information you had about it proves
to be wrong. It's probably undesirable on nutritional grounds - as
well as on safety grounds.
--