Old 25-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Rich Heimlich

Default Closest perennial to impatens (Zone 7)

Tom Randy wrote:

I've started getting into Dianthus the past 2 years, it's even somewhat
perennial here in S.E. N.Y. zone 6 if kept by the house foundation.
Whites, reds,pinks. GRanted their no impatiens but still look o.k.

I planted literally 3 a couple years ago and 2 died the first season (burned out
I believe) while the third has flourished and just keeps coming back. I'm been
thinking about dividing it which seems to be the way to spread it as its own
growth is slow. The only issue is that sites about them suggest they're a bit of
a pain. Having to pay attention to precise depths of planting, not allowing
mulch over them (the third one has had mulch over it every season), dead-heading
it, etc.

The one thing I really like about it is that it's a very full plant which is one
of my main concerns.