Old 25-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Joe

Default Identifying a sapling

On Sun, 25 May 2003 at 15:11:16 Pam Moore
wrote:

On Sat, 24 May 2003 21:32:05 +0100, Joe
wrote:

I'd appreciate help identifying a sapling that self seeded last year. It
has brownish leaves that tend toward green as they age. I would like to
know whether it is worth keeping. I set up a few pictures at this site:

What is the tree in one of the pictures? I'm sure David is right: it
looks like suckers from the adjacent tree, not seedlings.

Thank you for all the contributions. Unless prunus suckers a long way
from the parent tree, it is not likely to be a sucker. There was a plum
tree next door that died, perhaps, three or four years ago. The trunk
and many of the branches are still in place as it was overwhelmed by a
clematis, but the plum is about 30 feet (10 metres) away! I have a
similar tree also about 25 feet (8.2 m) away; the stalks look similar,
the leaves also look similar but they appear to be 'heavier/fleshier'
and not as brownish. The leaves on the sapling feel almost papery -
could the colour and papery texture be due to some environmental
deficiency?

Thanks
--
Joe Farrugia, London