Old 25-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Kay Lancaster

Default Help with tomato frost damage

On Sun, 25 May 2003 15:13:09 GMT, homer wrote:

What should I do at this point? Should I just leave them and see what
happens? Should I prune off the dead leaves and branches? Is it hopeless
(i.e. are frost damaged plants so handicapped that I should start over with
nursery starts)?

Dead material should be removed. If they were 4" starts, and not many
of those, I'd be inclined to replant (I'm just S of you, about halfway
to Salem). I've got some that would be in 3 gallon cans if they were
potted, and those I'd probably just remove dead leaves from -- but I'd
had enough warning that I had cuddled them up under sheets with
gallon bottles of warm water. Last week's hail was harder on them
than the frost.

If you don't have a copy of the excellent book Growing Vegetables West
of the Cascades (Steve Solomon), hit the library... the section on
tomato growing in this climate is particularly useful.

Kay Lancaster