Old 25-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Robin

Default Why plant tomatoes 6-8 weeks in advance?

In article ,
says...
On Sun, 25 May 2003 00:23:34 GMT, "FDR"
wrote:

Go get some plants from your local nursery or Home Depot.

I have done this in previous years and ended up with plump, red, okay
tasting, boring tomatoes. My hope was that I could also try something
different, such as stupice or cherokee purple or one of the obscure
heirloom types. I will know next year. There are not any mail order
plant suppliers in my country that still have heirlooms and customs
does not permit importing plants that have any earth on them.

Do you have a farmer's market in your area? I've gotten Pineapple,
Mortgage Lifter, Homestead, Sungold, Mountain Pride, Principe Borghese,
and the more pedestrian/common Lemon Boy, Early Girl, and Celebrity from
mine. As well as a few others I'm probably forgetting.

--
Robin

(Trying out a new email system. This address *does* (well, "should")
work.)