Old 26-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default Soil Steralization???

The message
from "brian" contains these words:

Looking for experience...

We generate from 1 - 2 cubic meters of good quality compost each year with
the exception it still contains seeds etc and therefore weeds grow in it
when we use it. I have tested the interior temperature of a fermenting heap
and have seen up to 50 deg. C but obviously this is not always enough, and
possibly not hot throughout the heap.

So, we are looking at sterilizing the compost before we use it. Does anyone
have any experience here? Any suggestion of what system to use or Buy?
Anyone looking to get rid of a second-hand sterilize?

I see from your other post you're going to try microwaving. Part of
the benefit of home made compost is the large number of living soil
organisms it contains; kill those (by sterilisation) and it seems to me
you've thrown out the baby with the bath water. There are other ways to
get rid of unwanted seed, for instance by putting a bag of compost in a
warm place and letting them germinate then die before you use it.

Even if you destroy every seed in compost, very quickly new ones will
blow in/be dropped by birds and start growing in the ideal conditions.

Janet.