Old 26-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Chuck Mercer

Default Why plant tomatoes 6-8 weeks in advance?

On Sun, 25 May 2003 18:04:39 -0400, Robin
wrote:

Do you have a farmer's market in your area? I've gotten Pineapple,
Mortgage Lifter, Homestead, Sungold, Mountain Pride, Principe Borghese,
and the more pedestrian/common Lemon Boy, Early Girl, and Celebrity from
mine. As well as a few others I'm probably forgetting.

There is no large farmer's market anywhere close to me. The local
nursery has only the common types and the variety at the other stores,
I have come to realise, is fit only for weeping over. As you said,
Early Girl, Lemon Boy etc.

The problem is that I was blissfully unaware of what I was missing.
Now I think about those red, plump, globe shaped, boring tomatoes
still with eager anticipation, but I know that even better types
exist. This next year will pass as slowly as did the last year before
I could drink! I just hope the heirloom tomatoes are not as
disappointing as Molson's (I have since learned there are much better
beers than the common kinds, too).